Beautiful morning dew (taken in July 2010)

September 2, 2010

Learning about humility.

I think it's very easy when you are going into a prestigious profession to identify too strongly with your success and your achievements. In my case, it's medicine. (A medical student blog that I won't divulge made me reflect on this point because it was difficult to see the real person behind the doctor role.)

Michael Phelps, who took home 8 gold medals- the most anyone have ever won in an Olympic game, gave this advice. How humble of him to say this!


I remember someone giving me the advice that being a doctor is a job and that it should not define who you are as an individual.

At the end of the day, I think the most important thing to remember is that you are the same kind of person before all of this happened, and simply remembering this will remind you to practice humility daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment