Beautiful morning dew (taken in July 2010)

May 21, 2010

Medical school beating the well-roundedness out of you?

I read in someone's blog that medical school requires you to be well-rounded, but due to the rigors of medical training it doesn't take long for medicine to beat the well-roundedness out of you. I currently don't find this true at all. I have been able to pursue things I love (music/cooking/perhaps some traveling soon). In fact, I find that I have more time to do the things I love. Perhaps it's due to the fact that these other things motivate me to do my work more efficiently. Then again, maybe I'm just not doing enough work then. But I mean, I think the amount of work you should do/want to do depends on what you want and what is truly important to you. This is very relative to everyone. I have yet to find this out, but I know that I definitely want to strive to be a compassionate and good physician. But I know that I would not sacrifice spending/ talking to my family or close friends for the sake of medicine. I would not give up my passion for music/ cooking for the sake of medicine. I believe that there is no sacrifice needed. You just have to make time for them. I know this because these are the things that keep me sane, keep me happy and keep me grounded. They remind me of why I wanted to do medicine and why I am who I am. That's for me anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment