Beautiful morning dew (taken in July 2010)

May 15, 2010

Scented candles and a cup of English Breakfast Tea

So my roomie Christine bought scented candles the other day. This inspired me to get one for myself. So today while I biked to the Annandale Plaza near my house, I stopped by Crazy Clark's to get myself a Wild Honey Scented Candle for 4$. My logic was, (I recalled reading the Winner's Bible that was written by a neuroscientist that the limbic system is very powerful and tends to override logical thinking of the frontal lobe of the brain), since smell/olfaction is highly related to emotions and emotions from the stimulation of the limbic system is a huge driver for a lot of things that we do in our everyday lives, perhaps getting scented candles would motivate me to be more productive when it comes to doing schoolwork. But I'll be honest here, when I smelled that candle aroma, I did feel super relaxed (good thing I guess). It's a different kind of super relaxed though, like I'm floating on the ocean kind, with jazz music playing in the background. I was super mesmerized by the flame dancing there. (Wow, fire is fascinating...I swear I'm not a pyro). And the funny thing was, I was scared to light the candle (I hate using lighters so I used matches and I nearly burned my finger while lighting it). What can I say, I'm a bit of a candle noob.

While the candle was burning, I realized that only the very center part was burning (where the wick was), but the outer areas of the candle wasn't burning! So then I proceeded to research up how to burn candles more efficiently. Damn, there is a lot to know about candles. Some websites were like "cut the wick to ___ length", don't blow it out when putting out the flame etc etc. I didn't know there was so much to know about candles! I just thought, buy the goddamn thing, light the thing, leave it there, then blow it out. WRONG! I also came across articles that said that candles made from paraffin actually emit toxic fumes. (Phew, good thing I found these articles because considering the candle that I currently have is made in China and only $4, it PROBABLY is made of paraffin). So apparently I'm supposed to find those ones made from beeswax. Now where do I find these in Townsville? I tried looking up candle shops in Townsville and I found one that delivered from Rollingstone (6$ for delivery and the actual candle itself is 25$?).

Anyways, I think for now I'm going to stick to Crazy Clark's cheaper candles and work myself up the candle ladder. This also gives me something else to learn about on my to do list for this break- learn more about scented candles and aromatherapy. I'm excited to learn more about myself, ways to relax. (I also forgot to mention, I am going to bike to the river area there and lay down on the grass and read some books during my next few study breaks...) So the next time I take a long bath in Canada in December when I go back, I'm going to light a scented candle, play some Steve Oliver's Feeling Good song (smooth jazz ftw!) and have some bubble bath. Mmm, I can't wait! (I can't do baths here because our rental house's bath is quite dirty and I don't know how much I can relax bathing in a dirty bathtub).

Also, I was planning to make green tea and lo and behold, I found a packet of English breakfast tea in the green tea box in my pantry (my mom probably took it from the Holiday Inn and put it in the green tea box). But anyways, I rediscovered my love for English breakfast tea. (I bought Earl Grey tea but realized that maybe I don't really like it as much...it's too herby-tasting, plus it doesn't go well with added sugar and milk). So next time I am stressed or just trying to wind down from a long day at school, it's a cuppa English breakfast tea and some scented candles. Oh yeah, I won't forget the smooth jazz listening as well.

Funny how life works eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment