Beautiful morning dew (taken in July 2010)

May 22, 2010

A tip on how to follow through your plan of action

Recently, I found that when I crave something (like Mcdonald's/ KFC/ take-out chinese food), I could overcome my cravings simply by remembering the emotions/ feeling I got the last time I ate those things i.e. feeling awful. This relates to what the Winner's Bible book was talking about- your limbic system is a very powerful system in your brain that responds to emotions and controls your cravings. The more vividly you recount it (the brain works best when vision AND strong emotions are associated with the thought), the more effective this technique will be. So, when you control your emotions by remembering how awful you felt after eating those things and how good you felt after eating healthy things, you control your limbic system and you will lose that craving! At least I did since I've employed this technique. I now employ this technique to such sorts of cravings and so far, so good. I'm on my way to becoming my own limbic master (sort of, because chocolate is still getting the best of me since I haven't had a negative emotion or experience associated with chocolate).

Now I wonder if I could employ this to memorizing facts related to medicine. That would mean that for every fact I learn, for it to be solidified in my memory bank, I would have to associate strong feelings to each fact.

Now that's a LOT of strong feelings...

No comments:

Post a Comment